7.28.2010

Meet Matt Hillegass

Matt Hillegass


Matt is serving at Ebenezer for close on 3 weeks. He comes from the United States of America. Matt grew up in Maryland and lived there for the first 25 years of his life. He has been living in California for the last 5 years. He is 28 years old and will be turning 29 in August.


M.M: Tell me about your family?
M.H: I have a brother and sister. My sister is married and she has 2 children whom I adore. My brother is 6 years younger than me. My mum died of cancer when I was 13 and my dad remarried. My family doesn’t venture far out of the world. They are happy where they are. I am the restless one. I love my family and we are very close.

M.M: What job are you currently doing?
M.H: I am a high school teacher and I teach biology to 17 – 18 year olds. It’s a lot of fun and there are lots of opportunities. I love the topic as well. I’ve also studied Theology and love to help students see the real presence of God – the real, tangible, beauty of God.

M.M: Is this your first time to Africa and Zimbabwe?
M.H: Yes and I’m glad that my first time to Africa is to Zimbabwe. I was caught off guard as to how “western” it seems. It was a surprise to me. The urban and rural life is very different. I love how genuine people are. There is an authenticity and I’m being blessed. There is also much potential for adventure.

M.M: What are your thoughts on Ebenezer?
M.H: It’s a fun atmosphere. The people I’ve interacted with are ambitious and hopeful. There is an excitement about expansion but there are necessary challenges that will be faced.

M.M: Who has influenced you the most recently?
M.H: A book I’ve studied called “Christian Ethicist” by Hauerwas. He thinks differently and helps me to reflect on things.

M.M: Who is your favourite Bible character?
M.H: Isaiah. This is a guy who disturbs people’s paradigms.

M.M: Any words of encouragement?
M.H: I say the students need to leave their comfort zones and go somewhere else. They need to be uncomfortable and experience things that are different. If they leave, they will come back changed/better people.
M.M: Thanks Matt. I hope you enjoy your time at Ebenezer.
By Molly Manhanga

No comments: