4.22.2010

One on one with Jessica Richards


Jessica Richards

Jessica Richards has come to serve for 3 months at Ebenezer Training Centre. I was pretty delighted to meet Jess and have a one on one with her. This is what she said:

M.M: Tell me briefly about your background?
J.R: I was born in Cape Town and we moved to Australia when I was 2 years old. I grew up in Australia. We then moved to England 4 years ago where I did my GCSE and “A” levels. I am going to York University in September to study English Literature and Philosophy.

M.M: What are your links to Zimbabwe?
J.R: My parents were both born in Zimbabwe and they grew up here. They moved to Cape Town for University. I was here in Zimbabwe last August on holiday. I’m on a gap year and doing very useful things in Zimbabwe.

M.M: How has your time been in Zimbabwe so far?
J.R: I had an interesting time in Harare seeing the names and places my parents talked about. I have met people from different walks of life and it’s been an amazing experience. I’m glad I’m here. I was involved in things like Kidzcan (children with cancer) I’d be with the children in the playroom and do some administrative type things.

M.M: What are your expectations about serving at Ebenezer?
J.R: I don’t know. I’m excited to be here and I’m hoping to “click” with the apprentices. The more I learn about Ebenezer, the more “cool” I think it is. Having the opportunity to canoe to work is really “cool”.

M.M: It will be an experience of a lifetime! What are you passionate about?
J.R: Reading, words – I don’t really know yet. It’s such an evocative word. I know what I like but I’m not sure if I’m passionate about it. I like seeing things coming into fruition.

M.M: What do you do to relax?
J.R: Listen to music, journaling, doing “nothing”, just “floating” around the house, I like to think and cooking.

M.M: Well Jess, I hope you’ll enjoy your time at Ebenezer connecting with the apprentices and staff as well as doing all the “cool” stuff like canoeing.



By Molly Manhanga



No comments: