8.18.2010

Meet Phil Gascoyne

Phil Gascoyne


It was great chatting to Phil and getting to know him a little better….

M.M: tell me about your background?
P.G: I was born in Nottingham, England. I did my schooling in many different places – London, North Carolina etc. I did International Business and computers at University. I was also a medic in the military. I met my wife Alicia while playing volleyball. We married 4 years later. We don’t have any children. We celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary in Kezi.

M.M: Happy anniversary! What work are you into in the States?
P.G: I’m a business consultant for small businesses (less than 50 employees)

M.M: Is this your first time to Africa and to Zimbabwe?
P.G: Yes.

M.M: Impressions?
P.G: I noticed how lovely the people are. It’s neat to be around people who are so quick to smile. When we engage with people, they are willing to communicate. Zimbabwe is a place where relationships are important. Its great working and serving here, but we have to be in relationship first.

M.M: Interesting! Please expound?
P.G: This is a mindset in many places: “If I DO something, then I can HAVE something, so that I can BE somebody.” As Christians and from my interactions out here, its “We ARE somebody already and because of that, we HAVE all we need in Christ and then we DO.”

M.M: Excellent! Where do you fellowship?
P.G: LCBC = Lives Changed By Christ and it’s led by David Ashcroft. We are pretty much into church planting and missions. As a church we support a village in Kenya.

M.M: What do you do to relax?
P.G: Take walks with my wife, read and do sport – mainly golf.

M.M: What’s your favourite quote?
P.G: “Life is tremendous” or “All men die. Few men really live.”

M.M: Who has influenced you the most recently?
P.G: Watchman Nee and Oswald Chambers

M.M: Anything you’d like to share?
P.G: There is so much more to the family of god than we can understand in a lifetime. But, we can start where we are and love those in front of us.

M.M: Thanks so much Phil. Enjoy your time at Ebenezer and the beautiful spots in Zimbabwe.
By Molly Manhanga

No comments: