8.14.2010

Nick Blair - on route to Ebenezer...


Nick Blair


It was brilliant catching up with Nick Blair. Nick was out in Kezi - on route to Ebenezer with Peter Cunningham. Nick lives and works in Edinburgh, Scotland and he is married to Fiona. This is what he said….

M.M: tell me briefly about your background?
N.B: I originally come from Northern Ireland. I first met Peter Cunningham in University in Edinburgh about 20 years ago. I did all my schooling in Northern Ireland. I met my wife Fiona at university but we didn’t get together for another 10 years. We then got married and we have 3 children: Joanna who is 8, Jonathan who is 6 and William is 18 months old.

M.M: How best would you describe your family life?
N.B: It’s an incredible blessing, busy; we are close as a family. There is lots of grace and apologies needed, but making up is fun!

M.M: GREAT! What work do you do in Scotland?
N.B: I am the Chaplin at Merchiston Castle School in Scotland. It’s an ‘All Boys’ Boarding school – really lovely and the boys want to be at school. I’ve been there for 6 years. I teach, coach rugby, do pastoral care, and lead Bible studies with the staff and pupils. I do this for more or less, 7 days a week for 8½ months. I have 3½ months holiday.

M.M: Nice! How long are you in Zimbabwe for and is this your first time?
N.B: I’m here for 6 days. I was here about 9 years ago on holiday.

M.M: Any thoughts you’d like to share on your time in Zimbabwe?
N.B: Zimbabwe has changed from 9 years ago. I’ve received warm welcomes and there are exceptionally good people in the country. I have a tremendous sense of peace in being here even through the difficult things. God is doing transformational things in people’s lives.

M.M: I agree. What are you up to here in Bulawayo?
N.B: My wife, Fiona and I have been supporting “Our Neighbours” which encompasses Isaiah’s Home of Love (Babies home) and many other things like Northend Boys Home for Street Kids, a soup kitchen, Light House Christian school and so on. The Baptist Church in Bulawayo is part of it.

M.M: Much is happening in Bulawayo. What do you do to relax?
N.B: I cook and try to go to the gym.

M.M: What is the weirdest food you’ve eaten?
N.B: Sheep brain stew. I thought it was cauliflower. I recently ate fish and caterpillars (Kapenta and mupani worms) Let’s just say I was hungry!

M.M: African delicacies. What is your favourite quote?
N.B: “Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt” or, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

M.M: Thanks so much Nick. It’s been great meeting you. I hope you are inspired by your visit to Ebenezer and hope to see you back in Zimbabwe.


By Molly Manhanga


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly, reading this back in Edinburgh a week after we met. Great to meet up with you....what a great job you have done. Nick

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly, I'm back in Scotland now, What a great job you have done. Nick