8.21.2008

One on One with Mxwayisi Dube


Q: Give a brief outline of your background?
A: I come from Njelele which is approximately 30km from Ebenezer. When I am at home, I live with my parents and my younger sisters. My older brothers and sisters live in Bulawayo. There are 8 of us altogether and I’m 5th born. There are 4 boys and 4 girls in my family. I am 20 years old.

Q: How did you hear about Ebenezer?
A: I was in school when I heard about Ebenezer. I then took application forms, filled them in and went on the Selection Camp. I enjoyed the camp very much. It was my first time to camp with other young people and learn about life skills and how to overcome difficult problems. I enjoyed myself very much.

Q: What has been your greatest challenge since coming to Ebenezer?
A: The water was a great challenge and my crops were not doing well in my field. The cattle and bush bucks also came and ate my plants. Dogs from the community were a problem as well as they came and injured my rabbits. I was very discouraged but I decided to believe God, stand firm and overcome these problems. The solution for my rabbits was to put mesh wire around the hutch.

Q: What has been your greatest joy in being at Ebenezer?
A: I have learnt how to run a business and being a good leader. When I leave Ebenezer, I’ll lead in my home and I’ll be able to impart to others the skills that I have learnt.

Q: Who has been your role model?
A: Many different people have influenced my life. There has been no one specific person.

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years time:
A: In 5 years I will have a big business and I will be worshipping God. I’d like to be married at 28 and have a good family. The foundations I have learnt here will enable me to be a good husband and father.

May God bless you as you continue to be a light at Ebenezer and in your community.


Mxwayisi inspecting his cabbages

Interview done by Molly Manhanga



No comments: